Prev: Re: Putting the Moron back in Oxymoron Next: Re: [DS/SG] Quick survey

Re: Rules of Engagement examples (DSII/SGII)

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 22:59:01 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Rules of Engagement examples (DSII/SGII)

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, John Atkinson wrote:
> --- Brian Burger <yh728@victoria.tc.ca> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Dances With Rocks wrote:
> >
> > OK, I ran "rules of engagement" thru Google; got a
> > heap of movie pages
> > (about a badly done and horribly racist movie,
> > apparently), some right
>
> Very well done and realistic movie. . .

<shrug> Haven't seen it myself, not likely to. A number of the people
who
mentioned it in webpages really didn't like it, for whatever reason,
that's all.

> > Skimming the FAS doc, there's lots of stuff about
> > 'not escalating' and
> > 'unit self defense'; just those restrictions could
>
> > I also went to the US Army's Digital Library
> > (http://www.adtdl.army.mil/)
>
> ADTDL is apparently out tonight.
>
> But I can say that ROE is highly variable.

That's the impression I got, too... not helpful to us non-military
wargamers, though.

> The ROE in Kosovo was full of disclaimers.  Their
> favorite (used about a half-dozen times) is "If the
> tactical situation permits."	The first line is
> "Nothing in this ROE supercedes the basic right to
> self defense."

That's the opening clause in the Standing ROE that the FAS had, and in
the
various sample real ROE on the ADTDL site. There's also, obviously, a
lot
of lawyerly input into the things.

It's even worse than aviation regs... (I just started my Private Pilot's
license - the flying is awesome, ground school is cool but challenging.
Quick, what's the difference between Indicated, Calibrated & True
Airspeeds?)(Very short answer: in a light plane, usually less than
5knots
- but you'd better KNOW the differences...)

> In the situation we were in in Kosovo required
> discretion on the part of the NCOs and officers
> leading missions, and self-discipline on the part of
> troops.

I'd think this is a given, esp. in peacekeeping situations.

The funny thing is, in a lot of the scenario ideas I'm batting around
(and
some of the real life situations I've read about) if both sides behaved,
there isn't/wasn't a fight and/or interesting scenario. You want one
side
to be behaving badly to have an interesting game, when you start
fiddling
with actual ROE stuff!

> I'll try to dig up a complete copy of the ROE from
> Kosovo for you.

It's not online somewhere? (Too recent?)

I gather there's a short, 'flash card' version for everyone to have in
their pocket all the time; even that would be useful information for
inventing ROEs in games.

Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -

Prev: Re: Putting the Moron back in Oxymoron Next: Re: [DS/SG] Quick survey