Prev: Re: Rules of Engagement examples (DSII/SGII) Next: Re: Rules of Engagement examples (DSII/SGII)

Re: Rules of Engagement examples (DSII/SGII)

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 18:21:39 -0500
Subject: Re: Rules of Engagement examples (DSII/SGII)

Dances With Rocks wrote:

> > > One lesson was on ROE.
> > >
> > > The example they showed was a squad proceeding down
> > > a road - 2 un-uniformed
> > > males run up, hurl insults, hurl stones, then hurl
> > > grenades, and run away.
> > > The ROE stated that they should NOT be shot at,
> > > because after throwing the grenades,
> > > they were no threat.
> > >
> [now drifting rapidly away from the original question]
> >
> > US ROEs are not written by the UN and hence actually
> > make a good deal of sense.
>
> Fine. But can someone give me example ROEs?? Serious ones?
> Useable for DSII? Without ranging far afield? Please?

Cooked example:  A bad comm situation where several units on different
radio grids form an adhoc group to squash an enemy special forces group
that has managed to appear in a rear area.  To make matters worse, the
units are coming from several directions.  To prevent friendly fire
casualties (friendlies are presumed to outnumber the small raiding
party), not only will units only fire after being fired upon, but they
must first positively identify the target.  It is hoped that the radio
net problem is fixed before contact is made, at which point, new ROE's
will be provided.

As I am not a soldier, this example may be even worse than the previous
one, without my knowing it.

Prev: Re: Rules of Engagement examples (DSII/SGII) Next: Re: Rules of Engagement examples (DSII/SGII)