Prev: Re: KNOCKING THE ARMY Next: Re: SOME MORE BOOKS TO READ.

Re: KNOCKING THE ARMY

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 23:44:12 -0500
Subject: Re: KNOCKING THE ARMY

At 2:11 PM +1000 3/31/02, Derek Fulton wrote:
>At 03:06  30/03/02 -0500, Ryan wrote:
>>The British use the following colors for berets to my understanding
>>
>>Black 	  Royal Tank Regiment and Royal Armored Corps (Dates
>>back to WWII)
>>Dk Brown	  Royal Hussars
>>Green 	  Royal Marine Commandos
>>Dk Green	  Army Commandos
>
>I take it these are WWII vintage British Army Commandos, as they
>British Army scrapped all their commando units in 1946(?). The only
>Commando units today are of course the Royal Marines.

Aye. Thats correct. I was thinking of the ones I knew, then went to
my books on various units from WWII to modern times. Not all of them
were represented for modern times, but some were. The tribal nature
of the British Army makes it difficult when you are also trying to
get a grasp of vehicle specifics as well. Heck, just keeping  all the
various regiments straight is hard. Royal Green Jackets, Royal
Hussars, Scots Greys, Scots Guards, HLI, KOSLI, KOSB, Glosters, East
Anglians, etc, etc, etc,

Still the point is that berets can be more than one color in a given
army. Given the British army's tribal nature, lots of variation and
unit pride can result from being in "this unit". Granted, you don't
need to wear it in the form of head wear, it can also be worn on the
sleeve. Frankly I find it more interesting that some units are
different than others. Espically with a long history a unit is more
likely to go with a different uniform. The stetsons (apparently
limited) and yellow scarfs are the best that I can think of in the
case of US Cav units. Why those units don't do more to really stand
out is beyond me.
Ryan Gill			  rmgill@mindspring.com
	|	 |	       |	   |

Prev: Re: KNOCKING THE ARMY Next: Re: SOME MORE BOOKS TO READ.