Prev: RE: Re: [OT] Beanstalk anyone? Next: [SG/DS] Battalion structure was Re: SG - hover APCs

Re: Re: [OT] Beanstalk anyone?

From: Roger Books <books@j...>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:06:41 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Re: [OT] Beanstalk anyone?

On 28-Mar-02 at 11:56, laserlight@quixnet.net (laserlight@quixnet.net)
wrote:
> Popeyesays writes:
>
> >A beanstalk top would be geo-stationary, would it not. It would not
have
> >much
> >angular momentum and would at most drift away and be recoverable for
some
> >time.
>
> Depends on where it's cut, doesn't it?  Imagine a bomb going off
halfway
> up.  Very unhealthy to be on the ground where the lower half hits.  I
> don't know where the upper half would go but if it was in balance
> before it was cut, I wouldn't think it would still be balanced
afterwards

It should never be in balance.	If it's in balance when I put my
payload on the center of mass shifts down and it assumes another
orbit.	The thought of the orbital mechanics makes my head hurt.

For instance...

To lower something in orbit you slow it down.  (Yes, its' angular
velocity increases but its' absolute velocity decreases.)  If
I slow down the cable though it is going to start moving relative
to the sattelite and make it spin.  I'm guessing you ignore the
normal "rules" and accelerate the end of the cable directly at
the surface.  It's just when I imagine this I keep seeing
integral trees.

Prev: RE: Re: [OT] Beanstalk anyone? Next: [SG/DS] Battalion structure was Re: SG - hover APCs