Prev: Re: "Strange" Leo1 on Battlefront web page Next: Re: RE:Reading Request.

Re: Washington Gamers + Books

From: Mark Reindl <mreindl@p...>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 09:24:01 -0800
Subject: Re: Washington Gamers + Books

Tomb wrote:

> PPS - Finished watching the first for Roughneck Chronicles (Starship
> Troopers cartoons): Some very neat vehicles and kit, some interesting
> camo patterns, CGI was bearable mostly, and the characters have at
least
> as much depth as those in the movie, despite the fact they are CGI!
Some
> neat stories there too, especially in the later ones. And better than
> watching them on TV - you get each campaign in sequence. There is even
> character development over the duration of the series. My one
complaint:
> What's up with Commander/Lieutenant Barkalow? He seems to fluctuate in
> rank in a supposedly sequential series of shows.... but other than
this
> one oddity, a pretty good value. And, thinking of gaming - NSL Pzgd
seem
> to be near perfect for ST MI. And I can use some Heavy Gears for
> Marauder-like infantry walkers. But I do need to break down and buy
some
> GZG bugs!

I've got the first two volumes (I knew there was a third, but is seems
they
snuck another out when I wasn't looking), and I have to say that they
are
rather enjoyable.  A bit closer in tone to the original book than that
abortion of a film (although I did like the combat scenes, Emrich
butchered
Heinlein's concept of society which I so loved).  Now I come to find out
that one of my old faves, Battle of the Planets, has been released on
DVD as
well.  That's going to be a tough one avoid buying, but they're already
up
to volume five, which means quite an investment to pick up!

Mark

Prev: Re: "Strange" Leo1 on Battlefront web page Next: Re: RE:Reading Request.