Prev: RE: [FT] Teach Newbie Vector or Cinematic? Next: Scouts/Spotters, HTML, Drones and odd cross cultural experiences

Re: [OT]Industrial Sludge

From: "Alan E Brain"<aebrain@w...>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:56:50 +1000
Subject: Re: [OT]Industrial Sludge

>Turkish/Greek coffee really is evil. And as you say, don't ever, EVER
>try to drink the bottom third or half of the cup!

I'm of the Tea persuasion rather than Coffee, but a few observations:

a) Until Starbucks (or whatever the name of that chain is) opened up
here in
January, I hadn't realised how weak US coffee is. Plenty of USAians who
visited
here had commented on how strong Australian coffee is, but the corollary
hadn't
registered. Maybe it's because most of the coffee I've ever drunk has
been in
Germany or Holland, where it's of equal strength. Say two
heaped-to-the-limit
teaspoons of Nescafe to a standard cup, 5 grains of salt, no stronger.

b) Turkish Coffee isn't that bad, even the last third. The few cups of
it I've
had were fairly consistent - the top few millimetres were liquid, the
rest a
fairly uniform gritty slush. Use Kaiserlink beans from Queensland (or
for that
matter, Jamaica Blue Mountain if you can afford it) and it's somewhat
strong.
But even then not the Evil Sludge that's been mentioned. IMHO anyway.

Maybe I'm just insensitive to caffeine. Last time I had a cup of coffee
was
last century anyway. Earl Grey's more my tipple. Sometimes with a dash
of Benedictine.

The obligatory attempt to bring this on-topic *:
a) What is the Effect of Combat Drugs in SG2.
b) Trading in the Tuffleyverse: high-value commodities such as coffee
beans
could make even small quantities of trade at high cost quite feasible.

* I've mad a personal resolution to try to make at least a token effort
to steer
any OT post I make back on topic, to avoid giving offense.

Prev: RE: [FT] Teach Newbie Vector or Cinematic? Next: Scouts/Spotters, HTML, Drones and odd cross cultural experiences