Prev: Re: Iron Giant, was Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR Next: Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR

Re: Scouts.....

From: "John Crimmins" <johncrim@v...>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 19:02:17 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Scouts.....

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 15:53:25 -0800 (PST), John Atkinson
<johnmatkinson@yahoo.com> wrote :

> --- John Crimmins <johncrim@voicenet.com> wrote:
>
> > Isn't there a book by Stirling?  Drake, maybe?
> > ...in which hi-tech insurgents kick off the fun by
> > knocking out the government's recon satellites?  _Go
> > Tell
> > the Spartans_, I think.
> >
> > For more fun, electronic warfare: the enemy has
> > hacked into the system and is scrambling your
> > satellite view.  You're seeing things as they were
> > yesterday, or seeing an entirely different area
> > altogether.
> >
> > Knocking them out entirely is more efficient...but
> > less entertaining.
>
> Uh. . . your maps are hardcopy (even now that we're
> digital, we have hardcopy maps also).  You can blow up
> all the satellites you want, but the data ain't going
> anywhere.

Paper!	Bah!  In the future, there is no paper!  Only mysterious
seashells.  And all restaraunts are Taco Bell.

Less giddily....  You've got your hardcopies, but no real-time view.
Still gives a reason for the scouts to be out there, well, scouting.

(And actually, feeding false images to the recon sats might be a good
lead-in to a scenario in and of itself.  What appeared to be nothing
more than one
man on a bicycle is revealed to be the entire Imperial Army, hell bent
for leather and thirsty for blood.  Or beer.  Actually, they'd probably
prefer the beer.)

--
John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com

Prev: Re: Iron Giant, was Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR Next: Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR