Prev: Re: Librarians Next: Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR

Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@e...>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 02:15:56 -0800
Subject: Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR

>On a regular basis I have conversations like.
>Me "this book is on a weekly loan"
>Student "when is it due back then?"

Three days !

>Or
>Student "I'm looking for the book I was using last week"
>Me "what was it called?"
>Student "I cannot remember, it was a large green book"

All the green books have been removed for cleaning, come back next week.
or
All the green books are now on the third floor (or wherever), go ask
there. (this lets a colleague in on the fun !)

Folks in tech support have much the same problems with people with are
ostensibly bright and presumably well-educated. On helpdesk at UCSF I
lost track of  the number of times I heard this appeal: "but I'm tenured

faculty !", as if that makes a difference when their computer is spewing

smoke.

Do the librarians have webpages for trading anecdotes, or do you just
vent on mailing lists ? n.b. anything funny is never too far offtopic

Prev: Re: Librarians Next: Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR