Prev: RE: [FMAS] [ECC VI] was SG2 Terrain Next: Re: A Change of Orders (ECC) + Paintball

A Change of Orders (ECC) + Paintball

From: "Tomb" <tomb@d...>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 20:50:57 -0500
Subject: A Change of Orders (ECC) + Paintball

Jerry said:
What, you mean in a different game the ESU team didn't get pounded
by mortar fire, Kra'Vak, and then an Ortillery strike?	My God.  (8-)

Tomb:
No, they got pounded by mortars, KV, and later ortillery. But they also
fought each other and the Kra'Vak tooth and nail. The OU and the ESU
went at one another like mad to keep the other from gaining the benefit
of a captured KV. And then they _both_ hammered the appearing KV.

The AARs for some ECC stuff I was involved with will appear when I'm off
a release schedule at work.

Paintball:

As someone pointed out to one of our Sergeants, "John, if a fat civvie
in purple coveralls can get close enough to kill you with an inaccurate
weapon that deflects on twigs, imagine what would happen if he was a
professional with a rifle."

Paintball (on any field of size enough you can't see each other at the
start) is a good testing ground for observation, fieldcraft (moving
quietly, leopard-crawls, etc), camouflage, ambush, and basic small unit
tactics. Use of initiative, overwhelming localized firepower,
speed/mobility, and a bit of ferocity can really make a difference. Some
of the best tactics: Flanking, Suppression, Fire and Manouver, Bound and
Cover, and Assault Gun style ambush (engage an enemy, fall back out of
contact, ambush again).

MILES gear/Laser Tag/other simtech has its shortcomings too as a
training aide. There is something in paintball that you get as rounds
snap past your head. It isn't real, but it does get your attention. The
best type of training probably follows the Israeli mode with a few live
rounds in every 1000 or so. Keeps you from taking things lightly.

There is, at the end of the day, no substitute for experience. Veterans
are evolved, not spontaneously created. ;)

Prev: RE: [FMAS] [ECC VI] was SG2 Terrain Next: Re: A Change of Orders (ECC) + Paintball