Prev: Re: Um, eh? (Orbital Mechanics for Dummies) Next: Re: [FT] Orbit and FT

RE: RE: [FT] Orbit and FT

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 12:30:30 -0800
Subject: RE: RE: [FT] Orbit and FT

laserlight Wrote:

>Geostationary is geosynch with no north/south movement, and IIRC is
only
>possible with points on the equator (assuming an unpowered orbiter).
>
>Of course, if you have enough thrust, you can be geostationary anywhere
you
>like.

Ok, again, how to simulate this in a scenario that calls for
Geostationary
orbit over a specific point NOT on the equator?  Could you just require
the
ship to expend X amount of thrust each turn to maintain that spot?  Am I

right in assuming that the farther north/south of the equator, the more
thrust would be required and the shorter the orbit? Am I also right in
extrapolating from this that at some point, in concept directly over the

poles, you would cease to actually orbit, and instead be "Hovering" over
the
planet and expending much thrust?  It also seems that this thrust would
be
equal to the necessary velocity to maintain orbit at that range (ie, if
at X
range, Y velocity is required to orbit, you could hover by expending Y
thrust every turn), and that for any point between the equator and the
pole,
there should be some fraction of this relationship at work.  Sounds
pretty
daunting with modern thrust technology, but with the right PSB........

2B^2

Prev: Re: Um, eh? (Orbital Mechanics for Dummies) Next: Re: [FT] Orbit and FT