Prev: RE: Flesh Wash Paint Next: Teeny Nukes

Re: FT: Carriers

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 15:43:41 -0800
Subject: Re: FT: Carriers

Roger Burton West wrote:

>Delta-V. The fighter needs to change its velocity vector from "forwards
>round the orbit" to some approximation of "down"; almost certainly
it'll
>want to reenter at less than orbital speed, because of heating
concerns.
>Firing it backwards along the orbit pushes it in the appropriate
>direction.

Makes sense. How about this (Since my original idea was for CV's,
designed
for space ops mostly, but with orbital/atmospheric launch capability):
The
holding/launch/catapult cradle (PSB how you like), for space ops, holds
the
fighter facing forward, and when deployed chucks it forward and away
from
the carrier as on a modern carrier.  when set for atmospheric launch,
the CV
orbits with it's belly facing towards it's path of orbit, nose down (But
not
quite STRAIGHT down... angles slightly "backward").  The launch cradle
rotates 180' so that the fighter has it's butt towards the bay opening,
and
thus towards the planet and away from the orbital path.  When the cat
launches it, the fighter is accelerated away from it's current velocity,

evffectively decellerating it, allowing it to drop into entry while
facing
in the right direction?

>(2) ship is orbiting; fighteres need to decelerate relative to ship.
>
>So I'd expect to see carriers optimised for planetary assault with
>rear-firing fighter launch tubes.

Actually, for dedicated assault carriers launching drop boats, not
fighters,
I'd put the launch tubes on the bottom of the hull, allowing for the
launch
of more boats at once.

2B^2

Prev: RE: Flesh Wash Paint Next: Teeny Nukes