Prev: Re: Hills, Mountains, etc. Next: Re: [OT]Nukes... tunnels.... boom....

Re: [OT]Nukes... tunnels.... boom....

From: Derek Fulton <derekfulton@b...>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 15:35:30 +1100
Subject: Re: [OT]Nukes... tunnels.... boom....

At 06:42  10/03/02 -0800, John wrote:
> > on a paid speaking
> > engagement. In the course of the address he made a
> > comments stating to the
> > effect that the US was the unbeatable nation in the
> > field of arms since the
> > end of WW2. At this point a old gentlemen in the
> > audience lept to his feet
> > and yelled "What about Korea?"
>
>I've had this discussion before--and I'll say the same
>thing.  Last time I checked, the US 8th Army was
>headquartered in Seoul, which is the capital of the
>independant state of the Republic of Korea.

The fact that the state of North Korea also still exists says buckets,
it
can be successfully argued General Macarthur swayed US foreign policy
from
stopping communist aggression to removing communist North Korea. This
was
something the Chinese did not want and did their level best (through
third
parties in the UN, as I don't think they were a member state at the
time)
to make clear and when they were ignored they acted, driving the UN
forces
south. Although after a change of command in the on the US side (names
escape me at the moment, but I do remember the incoming general had a
very
poor opinion of MacArthur, in fact in his previous appointment he had
recommended the 'sacking' of MacArthur to the JCS ) the "bug out"
culture
prevailing in the US command stop.

"The Americans do not like holding defensive positions. They have been
trained for withdrawals. The Americans do not understand infiltration
and
feel very naked when anybody threatens their flank or rear."

Secret report to the British chiefs of staff from Korea, 1951

"The tendency of American units was to give up some ground, which
enabled
the Japanese to fight in a planned pattern. In the case of the
Australians,
however severe the attack, they did not move, which disappointed and
confused our soldiers."

LtGen Tsutoma Yashihara,
Chief of Staff 18th Japanese Army Group
New Guinea, 1942

The Australian standard operating procedure was to hold ground and
fight.
Lt. Koch, 72nd US Heavy Tank Battalion.

Don't forget the Bazooka and the BAR
We're lookin' for Charlie, he can't be far
Gonna move him on, if he ain't long gone
Goin' back up the pass, gonna kick some ass,
Gonna move him on.

US Army song.

Hear Ol'Charlie comin'down through the pass.
Playing Burp Gun Boogie on Two Div's ass.
They're movin' on, they'll be gone,
He rung their bell, they're running like hell.
They're movin' on.

27th British Commonwealth Bde marching song.

Hear the pitter patter of tiny feet,
That's the First Cav Div in full retreat.
They're moving on, they'll soon be gone,
Charlie's way too close to their shacking up post so.
They moving on.

27 BCB marching song.

Should anyone call, I won't be far,
I'm off to Tokyo on Rand R.
It's a bloody farce, but you can kiss my arse.
Farewell to the poon but I'll be back soon.
'Cos I'm moving on.

R & R Ballard.

MacArthur? Oh yes, I studied dramatics under him for twelve years.

Eisenhower.

>The old gentleman would have been better off
>referencing another Asian conflict that's a bit closer
>to Australia where US political objectives were not
>achieved (although without dishonor to American
>_arms_, which achieved every task set for them and
>were never defeated on the field of battle).

I think he probably was going on PERSONAL experience if his age is
anything
to go by.

Now having said this, I would like to say to all that I am not in the
process of bashing America just reminding John A there's more to it than

HIS VIEW.

As a whole I have found this list a pleasant and very interesting place
'visit', people I have 'met', the ideas I have 'seen' all go to make my
hobby that much more interesting. What I don't enjoy is opening up a
email
with phrases like "Piss off, Canuck" by John A. responding to slights
real
or imagined to the US. I don't think Tom's original post or Brian's
comments in reply were intended as a deliberate attack and if it was
(remote chance at that) I think John A. can demonstrate how big a man he
is
and shrug them off.

I've had my say and I find it disappointing that I felt the need to do
so
in the first place.

Cheers

Derek

Derek Fulton
12 Balaka st.
Rosny, Hobart.
Tasmania,  7018.
Australia

Phone; (03) 62459123
Mobile; 0438459123
Email; derekfulton@bigpond.com
URL; http://www.users.bigpond.com/derekfulton/

Prev: Re: Hills, Mountains, etc. Next: Re: [OT]Nukes... tunnels.... boom....