Prev: Re: Hills, Mountains, etc. Next: Re: Hills, Mountains, etc.

RE: Hills, Mountains, etc.

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 14:00:31 -0500
Subject: RE: Hills, Mountains, etc.

True. Tractors have a fairly high center of gravity (about 0.75m-1m off
the
ground).

I do not know where the center of gravity on a tank is. With modern
tanks
(Abrams, Chalenger, etc.), I would expect it to be fairly low (just
above or
along the top edge of the tread prehaps). Wheeled vehicles (LAVs & such)
and
older tanks appear a little more top heavy. GEVs, I imagine, would
balance
at the top of the aircushion. Grav would be either balanced upon or
hanging
from the gravity engines. Walkers would have a fairly high center of
gravity
(duh!) and would have to constantly adjust to keep it over thier
legs/feet.

In all cases all you have to do is to get the center of gravity to a
point
where it is not over the supporting mechanism of the vehicle (past the
bottome of the tread in the case of a tank) to tip it over.

A wide (1.5x as wide as tall*) tank may not tip over on the hills while
standing still, but going over the rocks, ruts, etc. at speed just add
inertia toward the tipping point. I know that _I_ would rather not be in
it
while it goes around the hillside.

But back to my question, has anyone modeled this before?

-----
Brian Bell
-----
* I realize that a tank is not a solid mass and that the engine (perhaps
the
heavist part of a tank) is in the body, so the 3:2 ratio may be
exagerated.