Prev: Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy Next: [SG] SLAMs in Stargrunt

Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy

From: Hal <hal@b...>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 15:46:55 -0500
Subject: Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy

Hello Folks,
   I'd like to take this moment to thank those who responded patiently
my questions and debunking my theoretical thoughts.  This has been a
very
educational process for me (and fun to boot).  Thanks again.  From what
I've gotten on this, it would seem that 3 is the minimal number of
pulsars
to grab before knowing one's location.	Two will give you an idea on how
eliminate the wildly impossible locations (for ex: if you were
travelling
towards X in known space, ended up such that your circle is 90% unlikely
intersect with any stars - that leaves 10% of the circle that  you could
be
at...).  Three are needed to get a better idea of where you are, and 4+
gives you enough data to work with to further pin down your location...

All in all, a fun thing to consider.   Thanks everyone (especially he
who
made the diagram and posted on it web page so quickly!)

Prev: Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy Next: [SG] SLAMs in Stargrunt