Prev: Re: [FT] Alert status Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] NEW JAP SHIPS ONLINE!!!! :-)

Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy

From: Hal <hal@b...>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:08:48 -0500
Subject: Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy

Hello Folks,

At present, we are using a 2 AU baseline for measurements of stars.
Once
we start using the ships of FT to place automated telescopes in orbit
around the sun, we can expand the baseline easily enough.  Anyone care
figure out what the accuracy will be for determining where stars *were*
if
the baseline is now say, 40 AU's?

Also, how accurate does one's position have to be known to establish
where
you are precisely?  In other words, if I for what ever reason, jump to
some
unknown location in space, and I find at least 2 known pulsars -
wouldn't
that establish the rough ball park of where I was to the extent that I
at
least know which direction to jump back?

Prev: Re: [FT] Alert status Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] NEW JAP SHIPS ONLINE!!!! :-)