Prev: Re: Hockey, Curling and other sports (some futuristic) Next: [OFFICIAL] NEW JAP SHIPS ONLINE!!!! :-)

Re: FTL COMMUNICATIONS

From: Jonathan white <jonw@n...>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:19:00 +0000
Subject: Re: FTL COMMUNICATIONS

"Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" wrote:
> "640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates
Well I'm not going to take /his/ word for anything. He thought the world
wide web was a sideshow..

> By then they will be sending AI holographic constructs of themselves,
so
> that the party they are sending it to can carry on a conversation.
Then the
> AIs send updates back and forth. No. Messages will NOT be small, and
the
> space taken to hold them will not be inconsequential.
> "Junk expands to fill all available space." - Unknown
But space is expanding at the speed of light :). The given subject was
carrying 'messages', which I presumed  meant a static 'lump' of info, of
a manageable size with the technology of the time. If you're talking
about something like your example of a hologram 'doppleganger' of
yourself then you are talking about a whole different scale I agree. It
strikes me that before any messaging system has come into widespread use
naturally acquires the capacity to move as much 'stuff' as it needs to
around for it to become commercially successful. The system that evolves
will have the capacity and mechanisms to move the messages at minimal
cost, because otherwise no-one will use it and a messaging system no one
will use is nothing at all.

			Jonathan White
--
"A Man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams"

Prev: Re: Hockey, Curling and other sports (some futuristic) Next: [OFFICIAL] NEW JAP SHIPS ONLINE!!!! :-)