Prev: Re: [DS] Alien psychology house rules Next: Re: Re: GPS + Pulsars + an apology/rebuttal

Re: [OT] Flag stomping

From: John Lambshead <pjdl@n...>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:57:21 +0000
Subject: Re: [OT] Flag stomping

Ah, you have to understand Anglo-Celtic sport relations. In English eyes
if
an England wins its a great English triumph, if a Scottish team wins,
its a
great British triumph. Mind you the Scots are worse, at football they
cheer
on anyone (even the French) who are playing England. To be fair Britain
competes as Britain in the Olympics, not as the individual countries
(England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland) of the UK in contrast to
football. In rugby, it's different again as Ireland competes as Ireland
(North & South combined) except where the whole of Britain and Ireland
forms a single team in an effort to beat the Ozzies an Zeelanders
proving
that though we hate each other, we hate everyone else more.
John
PS I speak as a Cornishman, the Celtic county of England, and hence
unbiased (or biased against everyone equally). Traditionally the rulers
in
London used as his shock troops as we were the only group he could trust

not to knife him (a Cornish Monarch/Emperor was unthinkable to all
sides).
The only British troops in the Roman Army in Britain were a unit of
Cornovi
who manned the Great Wall.

>>PPS - Lots of respect for Norway for beating the Canadian Men in
Curling
>>(in the 10th end and it all came down to the last rock) and to
Scotland