Prev: Space Sports Next: RE: detachment suppression

Re: SPS/Pulsars

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 18:19:48 +0000
Subject: Re: SPS/Pulsars

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 01:03:56PM -0500, Flak Magnet wrote:
>Sort of like an internet, but the the "packets" of data are real ships,
>with all the problems that such a system would entail.

And all the advantages. There's no single information chokepoint - if
packets aren't getting through, you go round...

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 11:05:32AM -0700, B Lin wrote:
>Another possibility, is that instead of ships (you don't really need a
big regular drive, just and FTL drive) you have ummanned pods that hop
back and forth every so often (once a day, hourly or more frequent.)

Tricky - in the canon background, at least, an interstellar trip needs
several jumps with recharging time in between them (and known strange
effects on computers). I suspect the failure rate would be quite high.

Prev: Space Sports Next: RE: detachment suppression