Prev: RE: [SG] Mercenary Mission Motivation Next: Re: [SG] Mercenary Mission Motivation

Re: [SG] Mercenary Mission Motivation

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 22:31:57 +0100
Subject: Re: [SG] Mercenary Mission Motivation

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ground Zero Games" <jon@gzg.keme.co.uk>
> >>That's not always the case--there are certainly instances in modern
history
> >>of mercenaries who volunteered to serve another country for
ideological
> >>reasons.  Lafayette Escadrille and Flying Tigers might be the best
known
> >>an American but there are other examples in Africa, SE Asia and
Central
> >>America.
> >
> >Also the RAF Eagle Squadrons (early in their inception, Americans ran
the
> >risk of arrest by the FBI for violating US neutrality.  They had to
travel
> >to Halifax, NS to go to Britain), the Lincoln Brigade in the Spanish
Civil
> >War, plus a multitude of examples from US history, particularly the
> >Revolution, in which we were the RECIPIENT of such help.
>
> Not wanting to be too nitpicky, but if they're fighting for
ideological
> reasons (even for a foreign power) then surely they're not strictly
Mercs?
> Mercs generally fight for payment, in money or in kind....

Depending on the precise circumstances and conditions, they most likely
get
some kind of money from their employer, though perhaps at lower rates
than
profit-oriented mercenaries. Even idealists need some food, clothing,
cigarettes and a bit of pocket money, unless they are "of independent
means". IIRC, the International Brigades in Spain received a salary.

There can also be arrangements like mercenaries fighting for Government
but paid for (secretly?) by government B. Or even more complicated:
Soldiers
fighting under command of A, but in the interest of B and paid for
(indirectly) by B. Example: The Gulf War: Us and other forces under
their
own command, but financed (to a large degree) by Saudi Arabia.

Greetings

Prev: RE: [SG] Mercenary Mission Motivation Next: Re: [SG] Mercenary Mission Motivation