Prev: Re:Near-topic: G forces Next: Re: [SG] Mercenary Mission Motivation

RE: [SG] Mercenary Mission Motivation

From: adrian.johnson@s...
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 14:41:12 -0500
Subject: RE: [SG] Mercenary Mission Motivation

>>Not wanting to be too nitpicky, but if they're fighting for
ideological
>>reasons (even for a foreign power) then surely they're not strictly
Mercs?
>>Mercs generally fight for payment, in money or in kind....
>
>That's what I originally thought, but I've since been lead to believe
that
>anyone who fights for a foreign power is considered a mercenary.

Well, the dictionary definitions (I looked it up at dictionary.com) all
say
the same basic thing:

-paid to fight for a foreign government (foreign army, in foreign
service,
etc)

*all* the "historical" mercs mentioned, includingt the Layfayette
Escadrille, the Flying Tigers, the Eagle Squadrons, etc., would qualify
-
they were indeed paid, and fighting in a foreign military.

As would, for example, members of the French Foreign Legion.  And
Executive
Outcomes, in all its operations (which were all for foreign
governments).

What about mercenary units or soldiers hired by a non-governmental
group?
Would they still be considered mercs?  For example, my rebel group hires
some merc advisors.  The Japanese corporate mercs - who aren't fighting
for
a foreign government at all - but a Japanese company.  Or the "big evil
megacorporation" who hires a military unit to take over a colony so they
can exploit the natural resources...

------------

And about the mission motivation for merc units - another factor based
on
the reputation of the unit:  mercs in a unit that is professional, high
quality, and has a good reputation would be more motivated to uphold
that
reputation, all other things beings equal, than a less professional,
lower
quality unit.  Esprit de Corps goes a long way!  Guys who fight in units
like the Foreign Legion don't do it because they want to be loyal to
France
- they do it because they're loyal to their buddies in the next foxhole,
and don't want to look like they're letting their buddies down.

Tradition and reputation can play a big part in morale and motivation.
If
you're in a unit that has a reputation for winning, that will in and of
itself increase the motivation to keep the rep, of not "letting your
side
down", etc.

Adrian Johnson
adrian@stargrunt.ca
http://www.stargrunt.ca

Prev: Re:Near-topic: G forces Next: Re: [SG] Mercenary Mission Motivation