Prev: Re: JUMP review? Next: Re: ALLIES, THEN AND NOW

OT Flavor was Near-Topic: G forces

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 16:51:08 -0800
Subject: OT Flavor was Near-Topic: G forces

OK, I've been reviewing some of the comments about FTL, and I am hoping
stimulate some more.

Bearing in mind the ever-delicate balance between REAL science, PSB, and

story/game flavor, I have come up with the FLAVOR of FTL travel I want
for
my game Universe, but not the exact PSB.  I was hoping to get some
input.
Here's the flavor:

There are two ways to do FTL jumps in my setting.  One is to pilot an
STL
ship through a fixed jump gate.  The other is to pilot a FTL ship.  In
both
cases, you do not get accelerated to C, rather, you enter a sort of
"Jump"
stae, which might be a fold, an artificial wormhole, something along
those
lines (Help me get creative with this one).  It takes a large device to
create this effect, which is why only large ships, usually warships or
exploration vessels, have them.  it's much more economical to build one
large one in the system and let gobs of ships use it.  Furthermore,
because
of the PSB, if you jump from one system to another through a fixed gate,
you
can cross much larger distances safely.  jumps from a gate to an ungated

region of space, or in a self-jumping ship, get less accurate and more
risky
the farther from the starting point you get (Please don't go into
arguements
about whether it should be this way - this is flavor, this is how I want
the
flavor, please help me string together enough BS to make it plausible).
The
reason for this is I want much of FTL travel to be long and arduous.

Suggestions?

2B^2

Prev: Re: JUMP review? Next: Re: ALLIES, THEN AND NOW