Prev: Re: Website update (I think) Next: Re: [FT] IJN Designs?

Re: Pre-read questions

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@a...>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 20:22:48 +1100
Subject: Re: Pre-read questions

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@hotmail.com>

> I finally ordered the rules (all three books) and am eagerly awaiting
their
> arrival.

You won't be sorry.

> Before they arrive, I would like to ask a few questions to get
> myself in thee right frame of mind for the game:
>
> 1) what size of naval units is the game designed to be ideal for?

Small Fleets. Say a dozen a side. Beginners can handle less, experts
more.

> 2) How is FTL travel handled?  Is it a jump (al la B5), a "Warp" al la
Star
> Trek, or a "hyperspace" a la Star Wars?  Or is it up to the player?

There are rules for "jumping into combat" but this is risky. Most games
start
with both fleets having emerged from FTL some time before. Jumps are
micro-jumps, more like Traveller than anything else.

> 3) How common are non-FTL system defense ships, and how big do they
get?

You can make your own designs, there aren't any in the fleet books. Up
you - anything from 100,000 tonne mosters to 1000 tonne corvettes.

> 4) What's the average size for miniatures for different classes of
ships?

Small - about 3cm (1"), medium double that, large double that again.