Prev: Re: FT: Pre-read questions Next: Re: FT: Pre-read questions

Re: FT: Pre-read questions

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 14:38:44 -0800
Subject: Re: FT: Pre-read questions

Roger Burton West wrote:

> >Cool, doesn't sound like too huge an outlay to start.  Do most fleets
> >center around a Battleship, Carrier, or does it vary with power?
>
>Depends on what you want. I think most of us start with some generic
>miniatures and let them represent whatever's needed, rather than having
>a permanent fleet from the beginning.

Practical.

> >>Somewhat akin to ST or SW, though not exactly either.
> >That too is cool, although I'm saure you could PSB any sort of
effects,
>no?
>
>Yes. The rules deal with (a) entering FTL during battle (it's
hazardous)
>and (b) entering battle via FTL drive. Both of these suggest a "jump"
>style of FTL travel.

Interesting.  I wonder if anyone's tried recreating the in-and-out
scenario
recounted in Dorsai!....

> >I'm thinking of, once I've learned the game, designing a "Cutter,"
> >something in the destroyer to Cruiser range, but without FTL, to
handle
> >system defense on far-flung colony systems.
>
>Certainly this is consistent with canon; but remember to build enough
>tugs/tenders to shift them around...

I'm assuming you mean small FTL ships that can move it from one system
another?

> >By the way, do the rules cover things like asteroid bases, etc.?
>
>Bases are mentioned briefly but haven't been conceptually updated for
>the FB rules yet. (In essence: small bases are thrust-0 ships with no
>firing arc restrictions; larger bases are small bases clumped
together.)

Sounds like a good way of doing it, though you'd think that the asteroid

itself might add some protection from fire in certain arcs...

2B^2

Prev: Re: FT: Pre-read questions Next: Re: FT: Pre-read questions