Prev: Re: [OT?]Dangerous Alian Wildlife Next: Re: Website update (I think)

Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 13:33:16 +0100 (MET)
Subject: Re: HIGH TECH WONDER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON

Roger Burton West schrieb:
> On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 01:16:05PM -0800, John Atkinson
> >a bunch of weapons programs that start to resemble
> >Nazi Germany's approach to standardization and
> >simplification in weaponry.
>
> Heh. A friend of mine's former Civil Service (UK) and a
> keen amateur historian; he reckons that one of the major
> advantages the Allies had during WW2 was the committee
> system. If Hitler saw a flashy demo, he could say "this
> project has Utmost Top Priority" - and often did, so
> lots of projects had it. If someone in the UK saw a
> flashy demo, he still had to get it past the rest of the committee,

Not only Hitler. Goering and Udet also had a penchant for disastrous
decisions, in this case concerning the Luftwaffe.
Don't know about the committee system as such, but I too, reckon that
an important advantage a democracy has over a dictatorship is freedom
of opinion. Free discussion tends to shoot down any hare-brained ideas
before they get too out-of-hand.

Greetings

Prev: Re: [OT?]Dangerous Alian Wildlife Next: Re: Website update (I think)