Prev: RE: [FT] Fighter missile racks Next: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 23:17:30 -0500
Subject: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

At 11:51 AM +0900 2/4/02, Edward Lipsett wrote:
>On a related but quite different track, I would expect colonies to
trace
>descent through the mother, because the mother of a child is always
easy
>to determine at birth, while the father may not be. If the society is
>advanced enough to have genetic tracking, and the society permits its
>use, this wouldn't matter, but otherwise...  Other people may, of
>course, have different ideas, but I would imagine that babies get born
>out of wedlock rather more often in colonial societies, and matriarchal
>lineage would make it a lot easier to eliminate the possible social
>stigma of being a "fatherless child".

Heck that social stigma is almost gone even today. Its mosty an economic
issue.

>As far as which to implant, for a similar reason it is probably more
>effective to implant the women, unless there are strict controls on new
>immigration (and visits) to the planet. Shoreside visits by sailors
>could have serious repercussions otherwise...

Likely those sailors have similar implants as those crews have women
too.

--
Ryan Gill	  |	   |	     rmgill@mindspring.com
		  |	   |

Prev: RE: [FT] Fighter missile racks Next: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[