Prev: Re: [OT] Jupiter Next: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

RE: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 16:24:29 -0700
Subject: RE: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

I can envision GEV's for use as inter-city transport but within the
city, they become less efficient - waiting at stop lights, making lots
of sharp turns...  Roads will probably exist in and near cities/towns.

Plus do you want to constantly have the high pitched sound of a turbine
running outside your house?

Pre-fab houses are usually dependent on much of the difficult parts
being done - foundation, major utilities such as sewage and main water
line are already in.  All the pre-fab parts are walls and a roof.  Then
there is still electrical, interior plumbing and stuff like that to
install.  When you add in the foundation pouring time and the effort to
dig in the sewage/water lines I would think it runs closer to a week to
put up a house.  If it's more like a mobile home, then I think I would
have less structural integrity than a house with a concrete foundation.
This might be acceptable as a short term solution, but I would think
that people would want something more substantial.

Even if units only took 2 people a weekend, for 250,000 people that's
either a lot of weekends or a tremendous output of material from the
pre-fab factory in just a few weeks - 250,000 walls and 62,500 roofs for
a family of 4.

In either case, I think it means a lot of employment for people for a
few years.

--Binhan