Prev: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[ Next: RE: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[

Re: [OT] Jupiter

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 18:16:08 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT] Jupiter

At 6:00 PM -0500 2/1/02, Laserlight wrote:
> > I just checked out some Jupiter data (need some gas giant info for
>FT
> > scenario). It looks like 140K km diameter. Now, is this with
>atmosphere?
>
>Yes.  In fact, unless I've missed something lately, we have no very
>good idea where Jupiter's surface is.

Also, given his gravity well, I'd expect that his outer atmosphere
would be something akin to dropping into a dense cloud suddenly for a
ship.

>Or if you want to be nasty--shields attract lightning, beam weapons
>have a range of less than 100 meters, sensors give ghosts, etc.

Dipping into jupiter's "volume" would be just like dipping into the
atmosphere of any other planet. You'd hit the atmosphere and start to
slow down. If you didn't blounce then you'd start loosing your orbit.
Then you'd really start to slow down.

--
Ryan Gill	  |	   |	     rmgill@mindspring.com
		  |	   |

Prev: Re: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[ Next: RE: B Ark Colonist and Colonial Industry... [LONG[