Prev: Re: Steam Engines was How much does FTL travel cost? Next: Re: [OT] The B-team and coppelstone

Steam engines was Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS

From: bbrush@u...
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:54:25 -0600
Subject: Steam engines was Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS

Reciprocating steam engines haven't been used commercially or
industrially
for decades.  Turbines were just so much better (efficiency,
reliability,
simplicity) that there was no reason to use a reciprocating engine.
IIRC
one of the last ships built with a reciprocating steam engine was the
Titanic (it was also the largest reciprocating engine ever built).

I remember from a History Channel show that the inventor of the steam
turbine pitched it to the Royal Navy and was turned away.  So he built a
ship and showed up at a military regatta or review (I don't remember
exactly) and demonstrated the superiority of the turbine by proceeding
run away from any ship that tried to catch him.  The Royal Navy (after
they
calmed down) took notice and started converting their ships to turbine
engines.

Bill

		    KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de

		    (K.H.Ranitzsch)		    To: