Prev: Re: Maize and Sunflowers Next: Steam engines was Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS

Re: Steam Engines was How much does FTL travel cost?

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:50:17 +0100 (MET)
Subject: Re: Steam Engines was How much does FTL travel cost?

Roger Books schrieb:
> This was made in response to the statement that steam
> engines are rarely used now.	If you do away with steam engines all
> nuclear and coal fired electricity productions will cease.
> Not that rare.

When I originally posted about steam engines, I was thinking of the
classical type with cylinders and pistons. I think those indeed are
rare nowadays.

Didn't take into account that 'engine' could also mean 'turbine'.
Certainly it's not the common German usage, where "Dampfmaschine" and
"Dampfturbine" are distinct.

Greetings

Prev: Re: Maize and Sunflowers Next: Steam engines was Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS