Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Progress report from the shipyard...... Next: Re: In praise of St Jon.

Re: colonial tech

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@a...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 19:55:41 +1100
Subject: Re: colonial tech

From: "Richard and Emily Bell" <rlbell@sympatico.ca>

> The only problem that I have with selfreplicating nano-robots is the
> (im)possibility of being able to prevent horrible disasters, with
properly
> designed software code.  After the first glitch (hopefully not on a
densely
> populated world) self-replicating machines will only be reintroduced
after
> the software has been deterministically proven to be bug free (this
may
not
> be possible).

Due to SEUs (Single Event Upsets) from errant cosmic rays, this isn't a
goer.
All you can do is write/grow the software so it will fail badly every 10
Universe lifetimes, on average. Or whatever your threshold of risk is
for
having a planet eaten.

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Progress report from the shipyard...... Next: Re: In praise of St Jon.