Prev: Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Progress report from the shipyard......

Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:55:24 +0100
Subject: Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard and Emily Bell" <rlbell@sympatico.ca>

> The industry required to build a car can fit in a modest garage.  The
500
> factories are needed to produce cars at a rate of one per minute.  The
> garage with sheet metal, bar stock, plates, forge, and machine tools
will
> allow you to produce a car fast enough if you only have twenty, and
they
> each last twenty years.

To build a car ? From raw materials ? With just a basic set of hand
tools ?
And I assume you are not speaking of a modern car complete with built-in
CD
player, air conditioning, electrically operated windows etc. ?

OK; something of a design older than a Ford T
You will need some steel or other metal for the engine. You have to get
the
ores, process them to metal. You will need a fairly big block for the
engine.
You need some reasonably precise gears and other turning parts, plus a
fuel
pump. You need a reasonably precise power lathe to make those. Available
from the 18th/19th century on, perhaps.
Most of the body can be wood with metal reinforcements.
You may want some glass for the windscreen. Another 'industry' to set up
Some basic electric gear for the ignition - so copper, wiredrawing,
insulating.
Electricity and glass-working might also give you headlights.
I hope you don't insist on rubber tires ?

So, I don't really believe the garage. A large barn and some terrain
around
it, perhaps.
And what about the productivity? If oyu need a year to build a car, who
will
feed you for a year to get a car ?

Greetings

Prev: Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Progress report from the shipyard......