Prev: Re: [FT] non-FTL Carrier Next: Re[2]: COLONIAL WEAPONS

Re: Lasers in the colonies

From: Roger Books <books@j...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:11:47 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Lasers in the colonies

On 29-Jan-02 at 00:38, Thomas Barclay (kaladorn@magma.ca) wrote:
> Okay, here's my counter arguments:
>
> 1) You comments about lasers and the power
> involved may or may not be right. Obviously the
> US military finds the idea of a portable laser
> weapon very feasible as they've got something
> queued up. Once, of course, the power issue is
> resolved.

I didn't say they were useless, only that they were
useless for shooting water based creatures.  Shooting
at armour now...

> 3) You might think you'll remain functional with
> a 2mm hole burnt through your head,

> 4) The argument about a 2cm hole assumes
> that I don't drag the beam across you or put it
> on a wider beam. I think temporary or
> permanent blinding plus a nice third degree
> burn across a 4" wide strip of your head might
> put you out of the fight.

Ah, you are counting on holes in the HEAD.  I prefer
my soldiers able to incapacitate by hitting head/
arms/legs/whatever.

> 5) The argument about a 2cm hole ignores the
> explosive effects of flash-heating the water in
> your cells. BANG! Can you say chunks blown out!
> OUCH! Probably quite disabling.

If the spot turns to steam you have pre-made ablative
armor as the steam blocks the beam.  I'd _much_
rather have a cauterized 1cm deep hole in my chest
than have a 7.62mm piece of lead hit the front
and a 3cm piece of expanded lead leave the back.
(Yeah, I know the lead isn't 3cm, but the hole
 certainly looks like it is.)

And the implications of what I'm saying don't preclude
a laser that works and can kill people.  What they do
preclude is a battlefield with tanks and air support.
The laser that can chop a person in two can do the same
to a tank or an air vehicle at LOS ranges.  The big
targets don't stand a chance.

Prev: Re: [FT] non-FTL Carrier Next: Re[2]: COLONIAL WEAPONS