Prev: Re: Laser Weapons Next: Re: C.J. Cherryh

Lasers in the colonies

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 00:34:30 -0500
Subject: Lasers in the colonies

Okay, here's my counter arguments:

1) You comments about lasers and the power
involved may or may not be right. Obviously the
US military finds the idea of a portable laser
weapon very feasible as they've got something
queued up. Once, of course, the power issue is
resolved.

2) Foggy days will suck as will really dense
atmospheres. In thin atmospheres, the laser will
work really well. The lasers lack of kick (hence
high FP) may well be a fine compensatory
value.

3) You might think you'll remain functional with
a 2mm hole burnt through your head, but I
have my doubts. At any rate, I heartily advise
you not to attempt to experimentally determine
this.

4) The argument about a 2cm hole assumes
that I don't drag the beam across you or put it
on a wider beam. I think temporary or
permanent blinding plus a nice third degree
burn across a 4" wide strip of your head might
put you out of the fight. Burns hurt a lot. And
blinding with lasers is quite feasible. (Visors
could maybe stop it - assuming it can't shoot
through them - but people often have their
visors up (or helmets off) when humpin'
through the backwoods, even if they had one in
the first place.

5) The argument about a 2cm hole ignores the
explosive effects of flash-heating the water in
your cells. BANG! Can you say chunks blown out!
OUCH! Probably quite disabling.

6) Reflec or Ablat? Har de har har. Fine for a
panzer (who'd hiding that class 5 GEV anyway),
absolutely unlikely for anything other than PA
and even then I have some doubt. Think that
perhaps armour that will reflect a laser will
perhaps have a _low_ chance of managing
stealth in any EM spectrum? I do. You _might_
be able to successfully layer it, but then again
maybe not.

7) A laser might, as I mentioned, have other
settings to make it multi use - everything from
starting a fire, acting as a flashlight, being used
as a LoS comms, etc. Can a gun do that? Uhh...
not by its basic nature!

8) Power: If I can put enough power into a
single cell (hence no need for a power for the
weapon) to induce fusion for a DFFG, then I
think the laser problem is well and truly a non-
problem.

But this has devolved to just about as useful of
a conversation as the religion thread - it hinges
on the same projections about what might
happen. Since it is an entirely conjectural event
many many years hence (who in 1820 would
recognize today's world?), we're into the realm
of "might as well do what  you want and PSB it
because you're probably wrong..... but then so
is everyone disagreeing with you!".

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site
"In God We Trust... on Cold Steel We Depend."

Prev: Re: Laser Weapons Next: Re: C.J. Cherryh