Prev: Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Progress report from the shipyard......

Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 18:37:54 -0500
Subject: Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS

At 3:11 PM -0600 1/28/02, Scott Clinton wrote:

>In SG2 we have:
>50-100 ton tanks that can hover...
>rail/gauss weapons in sizes from < 10kg to multi ton sized...
>power armor ...
>fusion power...
>...and lets not forget faster than light travel...
>
>But, you can't buy into a more reliable, robust and slightly more
>portable version of a weapon that basically can be produced today???

It would depend on the level of technology on the colony would it
not? I could take a Macintosh and a digital camera to Borneo and live
there for 5 years. But, I would question whether it would be running
after 5 years in the jungle.

One has to realize that depending on the size of the colony, you have
a great limit on what industry is available on that site. Look at the
number of businesses involved in making a car. Just a simple car.
Those major parts source from more than 500 factories all over this
continent. Smaller components probably source from further afield.

Granted some things would be easy to fix if there are available
parts. There's the other issue. Parts. If it takes half a year to get
a shipment of parts in from the major systems, you are going to want
to limit what is purchased from off world in deference to what is
made on world.

Think about the large amount of commerce that goes on in the US or UK
every day. Parts, raw materials, sub components, whole finished
products. The web is really really complex. If your lag time between
shipments of components is very long then you are going to have huge
issues with assembly time.

I'm not disagreeing, just posing problems ...

--
Ryan Gill	  |	   |	     rmgill@mindspring.com
		  |	   |

Prev: Re: COLONIAL WEAPONS Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Progress report from the shipyard......