Prev: Re: System defense ship designs Next: Re: This is a GAMING list not a RELIGION list!

Re: Re:[OT?]Dangerous Alian Wildlife - Stinging Tree URL

From: "Robin Paul" <Robin.Paul@t...>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 02:31:27 -0000
Subject: Re: Re:[OT?]Dangerous Alian Wildlife - Stinging Tree URL

----- Original Message -----
From: <Beth.Fulton@csiro.au>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2002 2:37 PM

> G'day again,
>
> > On Australian wildlife, the English comedian described the
> > flora and fauna as falling into the following categories:
> > Kills you
> > Hurts you
> > Scares you
> > or
> > Makes you wish you hadn't come.
>
> This is a piece I got through email a while back... its in the same
kinda
> spirit ;)
>
> Cheers
>
> Beth

SNIP excellent stuff
> There are some traps for the unsuspecting traveller, though. Do not
under
> any circumstances suggest that the beer is imperfect, unless you are
> comparing it to another kind of Australian beer. Do not wear a
Hawaiian
> shirt. Religion and Politics are safe topics of conversation
(Australians
> don't care too much about either) but Sport is a minefield. The only
> correct answer to "So, howdya' like our country, eh?" is "Best {insert
> your own regional swear word here} country in the world!".
> It is very likely that, on arriving, some cheerful Australians will
> 'adopt' you, and on your first night, and take you to a pub where
> Australian Beer is served. Despite the obvious danger, do not refuse.
It
> is a form of initiation rite. You will wake up late the next day with
an
> astonishing hangover, a foul-taste in your mouth, and wearing strange
> clothes. Your hosts will usually make sure you get home, and waive off
any
> legal difficulties with "It's his first time in Australia, so we took
him
> to the pub.", to which the policeman will sagely nod and close his
> notebook. Be sure to tell the story of these events to every other
> Australian you encounter, adding new embellishments at every stage,
and
> noting how strong the beer was. Thus you will be accepted into this
unique
> culture.
:-)
The same comedian, Mike Harding, on arriving in Oz asked a cabbie to
take
him to "a real Australian pub".  The place he arrived at was running a
"Deck
a Pom and win a T-shirt" promotion...

Rob Paul

Prev: Re: System defense ship designs Next: Re: This is a GAMING list not a RELIGION list!