Prev: This is a GAMING list not a RELIGION list! Next: For John A- military equipment insurance

[FT] Small ships

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 21:08:37 -0500
Subject: [FT] Small ships

Perils of small ships:

Die easily before they are in range to do
damage

Take thresholds very easily and lose combat
effectiveness with a very minimal amount of
damage

Make crappy escorts because they make
stripping away ADFC protection very easy for
long ranged sniping fleets

How to address these threats:

1) Mount weapons on them that reach. SMRs
(ER) and PTs and K-1s are good choices.

2) Mount ADFC on minimum light-cruiser sized
hulls. Heck, if I was to refight the last CanAm FT,
I'd have utterly depopulated the weapons of a
Komarov to give me 70 more PDS.

3) If you have standard FB escorts, have them
follow 13" behind your line of battle. Your line
of battle tends to be able to make it to the
enemy usually even through a couple of rounds
of fire, and causing meaningful thresholds on
the bigger ships will take a bit of work. Whereas
if the small ships are as close or closer, killing
or crippling them is waaay easy and can be
done before they come into weapons envelope.
Come in behind your fleet and your fleet will
draw the fire. They can then be used to 1)
savage cripples and 2) rip apart enemy ships
that end up between your two lines who will try
to focus on your LoB. Thus they get into range
to do damage and their NPV is not wasted (as
badly as it is if they die before doing so).

I have found this tactic quite effective. Also, on
the round where your fleets will meet inside
RB1, you will find that you can punch up the
thrust (well, give one turn of prep acceleration,
so you have to plan it two moves out) and
arrive more or less at the same pointblank
range with your line of battle. This flexibility is an
asset as well.

You can also divert the escort swarm to go
after flankers, strikeboat tenders, or fighter
carriers that aren't joining the bruhaha capital
ship furball.

I thank Oerjan for some of this advice originally,
he made the unserviceable ships useful to me.
Although I still prefer escorts with range 30
weapons.

Tomb.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site
"In God We Trust... on Cold Steel We Depend."

Prev: This is a GAMING list not a RELIGION list! Next: For John A- military equipment insurance