Prev: System defense ship designs Next: [FT] Small ships

This is a GAMING list not a RELIGION list!

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 21:01:29 -0500
Subject: This is a GAMING list not a RELIGION list!

I direct this set of comments generally to the
list and not specifically to any one member. No
one is being singled out or exempted, and I
include myself.

Everyone has a right to their opinion. However,
there is no obligation for each of us to share
his opinion in inappropriate forums.

Regardless of ones opinion on races, religions,
or cultures, there really isn't a need to make
this list a place for debate. There are three
good reasons this is so:

1) We're mostly all of the "already have an
opinion" variety hence all we're doing is
creating noise and changing the SNR of this list
in an unfavourable way. So why bother?

2) Some people are easily offended. It doesn't
really matter if this is a great way to be. It
doesn't also matter that speaking your mind
(regardless of content or lack thereof) is your
right. These facts are irrelevant to the fact that
some people will be upset and since that upset
will serve no particular function and perhaps
suggest to them going elsewhere is wise, then
the community suffers. You have the right to
say what you want. You have the right to say
that what somebody else said is a load of crap.
You have a right to be absolutely ignorant to
one another. NOT ALL RIGHTS NEED BE
EXCERCISED! Ultimately, the value of this list is
its diversity of contribution and opinion. Another
(IMO) value is interchange of ideas. Once
people retreat from interchanging ideas to
sniping at one another in harsh ways, the ideas
get lost in the mix and the value of the list
drops. So, let us TRY to not go their needlessly.
Politeness and discretion (the decision not to
say things that are controversial, upsetting, or
offensive to others) aren't requirements. But
they are how one behaves in a community.
When civility goes away, and controversy and
offense is all that is left, you no longer have a
community.

3) Getting a rise out of people and setting them
off isn't a mature way for anyone to entertain
themselves. Most of us gave that up after
puberty.

4) (BONUS POINT)

People stirring things up for no other reason
than because they feel the world needs to know
their opinion (whether it is backed by fact,
personal experience, or messages from their
alien masters) _piss_me_off_!

My time is (at least according to me and those
who pay me) valuable and I'd rather not have it
wasted having to parse through digests whose
contents have value except in outlining
entrenched views (on both sides) regarding X
religion, Y cultural group, or Z race.

In simple fact, one can argue that X cultural
group appears today to have a cultural or
historic tendency towards behavior B. What that
says about an imaginary future 200 years away
is ENTIRELY CONJECTURAL. If one can make
these conjectures and projections in a civil
manner with the willingly admitted caveat that
this represents one possible view, then they
probably won't offend. If one appears to
offhandedly slander X because of B and asserts
without question that with certainty B will
continue to be the behaviour of X and that
anyone who thinks otherwise is an <insert
insult>, then one is claiming a clairvoyance that
suggests they shouldn't be wasting their time
on this list but should be busily advising world
leaders, making themselves rich, or heading off
major future crises. Clearly this game is beneath
their inestimable talents. Don't waste my (and
presumably other peoples time) stirring up
tempests in a teacup (or responding to
temptests stirred up in the teacup) - it won't
help the list, it won't convince the people you
are in conflict with, and it usually has bugger all
to do with an IMAGINARY FUTURE WHICH IS
ALREADY UNLIKELY AS HELL AND EXISTS ONLY
IN OUR MINDS.

Here endeth the sermon. Flame away OFF-LIST
or just decline comment. I'm going to spare the
list by refusing to comment again on crapulent
behaviour by long-time listers. Even
commenting on such petty churlishness leaves
me with a befouled feeling....

Tomb Raider

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site
"In God We Trust... on Cold Steel We Depend."

Prev: System defense ship designs Next: [FT] Small ships