Prev: [Semi-OT] Blackhawk Down Next: Re: [SG] Islamic Bombers

RE: [FT] I'm in love with Pulse Torpedoes

From: "Adam Benedict Canning" <dahak@d...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 19:13:53 -0000
Subject: RE: [FT] I'm in love with Pulse Torpedoes

> Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 10:00:22 +0000
> From: Roger Burton West <roger@firedrake.org>

> If escort ships are kept close to the things they're escorting, then
> they don't need such big drives; but I haven't seen designs for
> low-thrust small ships.
>
> So how do other people deploy them?

Tight in close around the capital ships. Using the extra acceleration
to rotate them around the formation as required and to enable them to
keep up with the command ship even if suffering drive damage.

This is mainly for 3 reasons.

1 Salvo missile decoys.
2 Additional defence against plasma.
3 Concentration of fire. A tight formation beats a loose one by
defeating it in detail.

The fact that a tight battle globe seems to confuse Charles's
Targeting priorities is also useful but not part of the doctrine.

Break formation for asteroids, nova guns and for the final harrying of
the enemy in pursuit.

Prev: [Semi-OT] Blackhawk Down Next: Re: [SG] Islamic Bombers