Prev: RE: [OT?]Dangerous Alian Wildlife Next: Re: Package Deals

Re: [FT] I'm in love with Pulse Torpedoes (and tactics question)

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 09:57:08 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] I'm in love with Pulse Torpedoes (and tactics question)

Jon Davis wrote:

> It's funny though.  In the US fleet, the CVNs are the fastest ships
> in the battle group.	They can leave the escorts in their wake.
>
> Jon

They may have the fastest hull speed, but they have low thrust/unit
mass.
Any race with a standing start and a total run of less than twenty
miles,
will reveal the CVN for the sluggard that it is, especially if the
escort
does not need to go 3000nm between fill-ups.  One of the awkward
problems of
creating wet naval rules from FT is the concept that long ships need
less
power per unit mass to reach their higher hullspeed.  Two ships of
comparable
speed in WWII were an italian cruiser and the Iowa.  The italian cruiser
displaced about 12,000tonnes and had 120,000shp (shp: hp measured from
the
drive shaft).  The Iowa displaced about 48,000tonnes and 240,000shp.
The
cruiser was one quarter the size, but with half the power, yet it was
only
marginally faster on its builders' trials.  Although, it was no faster,
it
had twice the thrust.

Prev: RE: [OT?]Dangerous Alian Wildlife Next: Re: Package Deals