Prev: Re: [DS2]GEV Artillery minis Next: RE: Re: [SG] Islamic Bombers

RE: Genres & Backgrounds

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 12:37:42 -0800
Subject: RE: Genres & Backgrounds

Hudak, Michael Wrote:

> > >* FYI, Six Mile Bottom is a real village not that far from
> > here..... ;-)
> >
> > My hometown (Dugspur, Virginia) sounds quaint enough, but
> > there's a place in Arkansas that has us beat:
> >  Toad Suck Ferry Lock and Dam.
> >

>Then there's all the Pennsylvania ones that ECC attendees should be
>familiar
>with....
>
>Intercourse, Bird In Hand, Blueball
>
>Somewhere around here (I think more towards State College) we have the
>Village of Burnt Cabins.  I always liked that name.
>
>We now return you to your normal GZG discussions.  ;-)

Guess again.

Oregon has it's share of interesting place names.  Whenever something
newsworthy happens in one town outside Portland, the headlines can read
"Boring man shot" or such.  I grew up in Tenmile, which is not ten miles

from anywhere of significance - it's named after Tanmile creek, which is
not
ten miles long.  Pistol River is not far from Cannon Beach, which was
named
after an old ships cannon that washed ashore there.  And neither is too
far
from the most appropriately named town in the whole state - Remote.

My favorite Non-Oregon town name is Rough and Ready, California.

Brian B2

Prev: Re: [DS2]GEV Artillery minis Next: RE: Re: [SG] Islamic Bombers