Prev: Re: Re[2]: DS2: Design questions of my own. Next: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.

Re: Re[2]: Metal Storm (Long-ish)

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:26:15 -0800
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Metal Storm (Long-ish)

Ryan Gill Wrote:

>PDS systems are getting under ranged at 25mm. They are going larger.
>Your simple weapon isn't in the right caliber if its in 7.62 for PDS
>on board ship. If 25mm its still getting to be under powered. Also, I
>think you are underestimating the recoil and mass that such a large
>system would have and the requirements for keeping it in place on a
>pitching rolling ship deck.

*SNIP*
>Add to that, the newest missiles come in at Mach 2-3. Just shooting
>it up won't do a damn bit of good. Its going to keep coming based on
>inertia. You have to stop it dead. So that means, you need a larger
>round with longer range.

I read somewhere that there was a PDS system based on the GAU-8 that
competed with the CSWS, and it was more effective, but it was rejected
because it would have to be mounted like a turret, not bolted to the
deck.
Of course, this is what i HEARD, I can't confirm or deny.  Bit a DPU
PDS....
good lord....

Brian B2

Prev: Re: Re[2]: DS2: Design questions of my own. Next: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.