Prev: Re: Metal Storm Next: Re: Re[2]: DS2: Design questions of my own.

Re[4]: Metal Storm (Long-ish)

From: Flak Magnet <flakmagnet72@y...>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:58:55 -0500
Subject: Re[4]: Metal Storm (Long-ish)

Here's another couple of concepts inspired by what you described:

Artillery guns firing salvoes using MST tech, so one tube can fulfill
the combat role fulfilled by a battery. Just reload the barrel and
fire away. Reducing the MST tech to a "round" instead of the
ammo/barrel assemblies envisioned by Metal Storm would eliminate the
need to zero, as the sight/calibration of the actual firing bore would
still be zero-able. If the tube of MST gun is mechanically
articulated, the system could even shift the barrel around between
shots to form a programmed impact pattern faster than humans could
with multiple guns. Put multiple tubes on a mobile platform so that
the system can put out a constant stream of shells (one fires while
the other is reloaded) and you'd got some serious hurt. It depends on
how much powder they can put into a MST round and how large they can
scale the bore up to. The ability to potentially put multiple rounds
in the (almost) exact same spot could be useful for breaking bunkers
or setting up "digger" volleys that penetrate deeper into the ground
than a single round could before the final one really hoses things up
for the occupants.

Using MST tech and two or more clusters of multiple barrels for a
Phalanx system, only one set of barrels fires while another is
automatically swapped out with a fresh set, dumping the heat with the
spent barrels.	Reloading of the ammo-feed system could be done while
the system was firing if needed...  Heat becomes a non-issue.

Also, someone complained about having to re-zero a weapon every time
they changed barrels... Automatic pistols can be made very accurate,
and the barrel is a moving part sitting inside the slide which has the
sights attached to it.	I don't see what would prevent a MST tube from
having the same tolerances and thus gaining the same accuracy...
Again, remember that I DON'T think this tech is a contender for a
primary infantry weapon, but for certain applications, It's a very
valid technology.  A good sniper weapon MST does NOT make.

Also, as to the EMP signature of an MST weapon and the detection
thereof:  Having expressed my NSHO about the unsuitability of the MST
tech for a sniper weapon, I don't think it's an issue.	Once you start
firing the darned thing (which is when it will generate a signal)
there is no longer a need for stealth.	You're SHOOTING AT SOMEONE!
They already know where you are!

Still, I am curious about the system's susceptibility to EMP
attacks... If the electronics can be made resistant to EMP damage, I
think they'll be okay. An EMP pulse capable of frying microchips more
than likely doesn't generate enough current in target circuitry to
cause ignition of the propellant in a MST system... At least not an
EMP that could be generated without nuking the MST system anyway. If
the MST's circuitry is sensitive to low to mid-level EMP, then it's
got issues.

If the MetalStorm people are listening... and they like these ideas
we're
throwing around, gosh darn it, I want to hear about it!

Hang on, there're some guys in suits and mirrored sunglasses (with the
mirrors on the INSIDE) at my door, I better go find out what they
want...

--
Best regards,
 Flak

Friday, January 18, 2002, 11:11:14 AM, bbrush wrote:

buue> I tend to agree with Flak on this.  I can see some applications
where
buue> metalstorm's limitations aren't liabilities.  One thing I could
see it
buue> being used for where it would be superior to the current
incarnation is
buue> close-in defense systems ala the Phalanx.  I have a friend who
served on
buue> the USS Goldsborough back in the 80's and he said the problem with
the
buue> Phalanx was that it took way too long to reload the bloody thing.
If you
buue> had a "package" of barrels mounted in a frame with one electrical
buue> connection then you could swap the frame out fairly quickly and
replace
buue> barrels in the frame after things cool down.

buue> Another application of this technology that I could see would be
to make a
buue> metalstorm-conventional firearm hybrid.  What I have in mind would
only be
buue> practical on a permanent mount, but it would be able to lay down
the fire.
buue> It would work something like this.  You would have a belt of the
metalstorm
buue> barrels, which would be fed into a very large breach.  Each barrel
would be
buue> the equivalent of a conventional cartridge.  The metalstorm barrel
would
buue> "lock" into the base of the permanent barrel, and fire.  When the
buue> metalstorm barrel/cartridge was empty it would be ejected and
another would
buue> be fed into the "breach".  This system would take care of the lag
time of
buue> changing barrels, and keep the volume of fire up.  You'd want this
in
buue> either a chain gun or mini-gun configuration as you wouldn't be
able to use
buue> the recoil or gases to operate it.  Actually with the volume of
fire that
buue> would be pouring out you'd almost definitely want rotating or
otherwise
buue> actively cooled barrels.

buue> Just my opinion.

buue> Bill

buue>			  Flak Magnet

buue>			  <flakmagnet72@yahoo.com>	  To:	  B Lin
<gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
buue>			  Sent by:			  cc:

buue>			  owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Be	  Subject:
Re[2]: Metal Storm (Long-ish)
buue>			  rkeley.EDU

buue>			  01/17/02 05:16 PM

buue>			  Please respond to gzg-l

buue> I can see how the Metal Storm technology would have applications.
buue> just don't think it will be effective as a soldier's weapon.
Vehicle
buue> and aircraft mounted versions and the area-denial concepts I think
are
buue> practical though.

Prev: Re: Metal Storm Next: Re: Re[2]: DS2: Design questions of my own.