Prev: RE: DS2: Design questions of my own. Next: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.

RE: DS2: Design questions of my own.

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 15:27:47 -0700
Subject: RE: DS2: Design questions of my own.

The difference here is the usage of %.

The point I was making was the % chance of kill was increased by 25,
thus 25% increase.

You are using % as a factorial increase - 50% increase over the 50%
baseline.

Since there is an absolute limit to % kill, it makes more sense to use
100% kill as the baseline and count absolute, not relational increases -
so a 25% increase means 25 more percent chance to kill compared to a
100% chance to kill rather than using a fractional description.

If a weapon system was listed as being 500% better than another for only
an increase of 50% mass it would sound good.

Or would it be easier to rate if you stated that it increased the kill
percentage by 16% for a cost of 2 mass?

Does it still sound as good if you find out it has an overall 20% chance
of kill for 6 mass?

Your usage depends on what number you are using for a baseline.  As your
baseline increases in value, the apparent value of the increases goes
down (i.e. 10 points compared to 10 points is 100%, but compared to 50
is only 20%)  When rolling % dice, what is important is that it is a 10
point or 10% difference, not that it is 10% depending on the baseline.

I don't disagree that MDC/5 is a better buy, just in how much of a
better buy.

The use of mass % is faulty for the same reason, as you get to larger
and larger masses, the amount a single unit counts towards the
percentage change decreases.

You can accurately compare Kill% to mass if you assume each item you are
comparing starts with the same mass.

Your calculation below is a correct way to compare systems - a %kill
rate to a single mass unit.  In the case below you fixed the kill rate
to 75%.

--Binhan