Prev: RE: [OT] sad but true Next: RE: Unpainted Lead Storage

Re: Metal Storm

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 18:56:04 -0500
Subject: Re: Metal Storm

At 10:05 AM +1100 1/17/02, Alan E Brain wrote:
>But as the barrel needs only a limited lifetime, it can be very
>light. And there's no separate magazine to carry.
>So you're on the 4th or 5th mag/barrel change before the weight becomes
>equal to a conventional weapon with the same amount of ammo. And
>anyone who's carried around an M-60 or heavier weapon knows that you
>need spare barrels even for those after a few thousand rounds, and
>they weigh a LOT.

How do you zero the new barrels? How do you protect the weapon system
under armor? How do you easily transfer ammo for a cannon type (25mm)
from stores to the vehicle?

>Of course the Metal Storm ammo/barrel/mag loads may not weigh a lot,
>but they're bulky. And its very easy to burn thousands of rounds
>very quickly.

Something of a problem.

>Hang-fires are dealt with by just removing the barrel, and putting
>it in a safe place - usually sticking it in the ground, muzzle-down.
>Just as nerve-wracking as removing a conventional cartridge with a
>dent in the primer, not for the feint-hearted.

I've always dealt with the occasional hang fire by ejecting the round
while turned away from the breech of the bolt action rifle (old .303
brit not of greek or british mfg...).
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			       '72 Honda CB750 -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill	      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
- C&R-FFL - /	Protect Freedom AND Security	  \	       -
-    NRA   /  http://www.indefenseoffreedom.org/   \ DoD #0780 -

Prev: RE: [OT] sad but true Next: RE: Unpainted Lead Storage