Prev: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own. Next: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.

Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:03:48 -0800
Subject: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.

Eric Foley wrote:

>I'm already using reactive armor on a lot of my vehicles that expect to
see
>urban action, where it doubles their survivability in close quarters,
but I
>start to wonder if equipping most any large vehicle with it wouldn't be
>bad idea. Even a GMS/H would have a bit of trouble penetrating armor
5R...

I prefer PDS/APFC to reactive armor, since their cost is fixed, not
based on
vehicle size, and they pretty efficiently protect vs. GMS and IAVR.

>...but yeah, MDCs won't have armor penetration problems.  These things
are
>deadly enough in most any sort of halfway open terrain that they
present a
>very strong deterrent for a tank commander to give the order to leave
home
>at all.  Stealth isn't even worth it... it's cheaper to bring along
>engineers and dig in for the defensive bonus you get, although that
might
>be
>asking for it from concentrated artillery or air assault.

Which is why the CAF uses them exclusively as it's main tank weapon.

>Is- there really a feasible way to keep tanks alive against MDC-5s with
>Superior FireCon, other than basically hiding them until you can take
them
>out with something else?

Yeah - Have the Something Else (Preferrably an arty spotter or an attack

VTOL lance) tag along in the first place. It's called Combined Arms
Tactics.

Brian B2

Prev: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own. Next: Re: DS2: Design questions of my own.