Prev: RE: Letters of marque Next: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels

OT: Battleships and Merchants was Re: Mercs, yet again

From: Derek Fulton <derekfulton@b...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 00:31:40 +1100
Subject: OT: Battleships and Merchants was Re: Mercs, yet again

And Then Tom wrote:

>[Tomb] And you can make ad hoc warships
>in GZGverse by removing some cargo
>spaces and installing weapon spaces in a
>fast freighter. The rules don't preclude this
>at all and neither, AFAIK, does the
>universe. Yes, purpose built warships are
>better. That is still the same.

G'Day

Just a bit of trivia :) Actually the battleship of Nelson's day had a
lot
in common with their merchant counterparts, that's because John
basically
got it right in saying ".........only expense in converting a
merchantman
to a warship was cutting holes in the side and mounting
cannon.........".
That's because the only difference between a man of war and a
merchantmen
was the gunports cut into the hull, the H.M. Bark Endeavor (Captain
James
Cook's ship) started life as a collier (the 'Earl of Pembroke').

Yes, warships were purpose built from the keel up but it wasn't until
the
introduction of exploding shells, armour plate and steam propulsion that

warships began to differ greatly from their merchant cousins. In fact it

was these similarities that allowed the Royal Navy to attain a strategic

reach unequaled by even today's modern navies [Yes, even the US Navy ;)
].
Warships of Nelson's day still retained large cargo holds left over from

their merchantmen ancestry and unlike later vessels being sail powered
they
didn't need to give over large amounts of area to the storage of fuel
(nor
did they have the constant need to refuel).

Cheers

Derek

Derek Fulton
12 Balaka st.
Rosny, Hobart.
Tasmania,  7018.
Australia

Phone; (03) 62459123
Mobile; 0438459123
Email; derekfulton@bigpond.com
URL; http://www.users.bigpond.com/derekfulton/

Prev: RE: Letters of marque Next: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels