Prev: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels Next: Re: potpourri

Re: Tiger and Sherman

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 07:34:45 +0100
Subject: Re: Tiger and Sherman

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glenn M Wilson" <triphibious@juno.com>
<laserlight@quixnet.net>

> >Because it's true (leaving aside production, logistical and strategic
> >movement problems for the Tigers).
>
> Whoa!  Germans in Europe had "...strategic movement problems.." that
> Americans across the Atlantic had less of?  Please clarify what you
> wrote?  I'm confused - well, more then normal...

Well, by mid-1944 the Germans did have strategic movement problems,
courtesy
of the RAF and USAAF ;-)

I think that Laserlight means specifically the comparison between Tiger
and
Sherman here. The Tiger was considerable heavier, hence could be less
easily
transported on ships, trucks or railroad. Also I remember reading that
it
was too wide to fit on European railroads, so that special narrow
"railroad"
tracks had to be used if it was to be transported by rail.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels Next: Re: potpourri