Prev: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels Next: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels

RE: Re: D-Day was Shermans

From: "laserlight@q..." <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 16:51:37 -0500
Subject: RE: Re: D-Day was Shermans

>My point is that there wouldn't be a mass invasion against a "hot"
beach.
A debacle like Omaha wouldn't be excuted again simply because

insert "we believe that"

>we have the capability and precision to neutralize the kind of defenses
that were present on the beaches then.

Even if we do have the capacity to do that against a comparable level
opponent, we're not the only military force on the planetr, and some of
them might be willing to try an invasion even without wundertech.

>  Also there's the sheer scale of the
operation.  I'm not sure a situation would arise where an operation on
that
scale would be necessary.

People's Republic vs Republic of China in about 15 years.

>  Of course there's also the argument that most
modern militaries wouldn't attempt a static defense simply because a
mobile
defense in depth has proven much more effective.

Under what circumstances?
a)  If you can catch'em coming in, they're a lot more vulnerable.
Granted you need a mobile *reserve* but that doesn't mean there's no
point in waterline defenses.
b)  this assumes you have "depth" that you don't mind losing.  That's
not always the case.

http://mail2web.com/ .

Prev: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels Next: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels