Prev: Re: Drones (UAVs) Next: Re: Merc Guild - Not Really

Re: Drones (UAVs)

From: adrian.johnson@s...
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 23:39:06 -0700
Subject: Re: Drones (UAVs)

>> So I was wondering: At what level are these things
>> currently attached
>> (Division, Brigade, Battalion, Company, Platoon)?
>
>Currently?  The only current drone-user is the US.

*blink*

Um, noooo.

The Canadian and German armies have been fielding the (I think CL214,
but
I'm not sure) UAV, produced by Canadair (and I think under licence in
Germany - and the French use them too, IIRC) since at least the *late
1970's*...

UAV's are used worldwide, by *lots and lots* of different forces.

(including several of the Arab navies, to tiptoe around another rather
OT
discussion, IIRC again).

They are produced all over the place.  The Israelis have a good UAV
business for example, and I believe some of the various UAVs used by the
US
are (or were) of Israeli origin.  They are being designed/produced in
both
India and Pakistan.

Etc etc etc.

The US is not even *vaguely* the only drone user, and hasn't been for
decades.

I'm not even sure the US is the first to try *arming* their UAVs, though
don't think anyone else has done anything like sticking a Hellfire-type
missile on them.

They *talk* about their's a lot, and get press....

Prev: Re: Drones (UAVs) Next: Re: Merc Guild - Not Really