Prev: RE: Merc Guild - Not Really Next: RE: Merc Guild - Not Really

RE: Merc Guild - Not Really

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 17:30:49 -0800
Subject: RE: Merc Guild - Not Really

John Atkinson wrote:

> > And which army can you list that's never been guilty
> > of any atrocity?  Is
> > the US Army no longer considered professional
> > because of MY Lai or Wounded
> > Knee?
>
>Uh, We court-martialled Calley and broke him from the
>service.  Even sent him to prison for a time.
>Attaturk and the rest of the Turkish reigime at that
>time was never brought to trial for the atrocities of
>the Armenian genocide and to this day the Turkish
>government denies that the genocide occoured.

Which is sad, but not uncorrectable.  Many of the Turks I met expressed
great remorse for many of the past actions of their people.

>Wounded Knee was over-enthusiastic militia.  Again,
>the Armenian genocide was the deliberate policy of an
>entire nation in which regular military forces were
>deployed in combat operations against civillians who
>were until that time, citizens of Turkey.

Deliberate policy of an entire nation - like the internment of Japanese
Americans?  Like the distribution of Smallpox-infested blankets to
Indians?
Like Slavery? We have no right to ride any high horse when it comes to
mistreatment of ethnic groups.	Things have been worse other places, and
can
and hopefully are getting better in Turkey.

Brian B2

Prev: RE: Merc Guild - Not Really Next: RE: Merc Guild - Not Really